Yoni Steam Benefits: 1) Improves the menstrual cycle The number one reason that many women practice yoni steaming is because of its ability to significantly reduce pain, bloating and exhaustion associated with menstruation, as well as to regulate irregular or absent menstrual cycles. It works like this: after the medicinal herbs release their cleansing and healing oils into hot water, they are carried via steam to the porous skin of the outer labia, where they are absorbed. The ancient wisdom says that from there, the properties of the plants are carried through the bloodstream into the uterus, where they help to dislodge the stuck material that causes discomfort during menstruation.
2) Heals the womb Perhaps a result of stress and environmental toxins in our world today, many women suffer from challenges such as uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts and endometriosis. In the same way that yoni steaming supports the uterus to shed old blood, it can help the miraculous organ to expel any non-essential tissue or cells, including polyps, cysts or endometrium growing outside the uterus. The result is a healthier womb, inside and out.
3) Creates space for blissful relaxation To do a yoni steam, a woman sets aside 20-30 minutes of her time to focus on her own well-being and go inward. As she sits with herself, allowing the gentle herbs to permeate her body and release stuck material, she often experiences a powerful release of stored emotions and stress as well. This self-care routine provides an excellent time to reflect, meditate, practice pranayama or write in a journal, bringing a profound sense of relaxation and emotional well-being.
4) Deeply connects a woman with her source of power Yoni steaming is an opportunity to connect deeply with, celebrate and cherish all aspects of our bodies and their subtle energies, especially that of our yonis. As we learn to enjoy our wombs as the beautiful, sacred centers that they are, we deepen our relationship to the powerful feminine energy that each of us holds within. Using yoni steaming as the entry point, many women have learned to channel the potent energy of their wombs to unlock creative potential that serves their true self and life purpose.
5) Detoxifies To truly live in balance, we must detoxify our environment, our relationships and, of course, our own bodies. Yoni steaming works similarly to the way a steam room is used to draw toxins out of your body via the skin, or an herbal steam is used to clear congestion from your nasal passages when you have a cold. Likewise, steaming the exterior of your vagina draws out toxins and clears congestion from your womb. The gentle heat and moisture cause physical toxins to be released from cells into the lymphatic fluid, which is expelled from the body as sweat.
6) Makes sex more juicy On an emotional level, yoni steaming supports us to cultivate a profound sense of self-love and increases our self-confidence (especially as it relates to our yonis!), which helps us to feel more sexy and sensual. On the physical level, yoni steaming increases circulation and increases lubrication, which can help increase libido and makes sex more enjoyable! And, the very act of steaming is slightly arousing, which helps us get turned on!
7) Helps to increase fertility There may be many reasons for fertility challenges, but one of those reasons is induration (hardened lining) and buildup of old material in the venous lakes (folds) on the uterine walls. By breaking up this excess material and releasing it through menstruation, the uterine walls are prepared for a fertilized egg to attach and thrive. In many cases, this is the missing piece of the preparation for a successful pregnancy.
8) Speeds recovery after birth A yoni steam is called a “bajo” by Mayan midwives and is the traditional treatment used to heal, cleanse and tone the reproductive system after birth. The ancient remedy is thought to clear any remaining material from the uterus after birth, assist with the repair of a vaginal tear, episiotomy, or C-section scar, and encourage the tissue to tighten. It is best to wait a week after birth before steaming in order to give mama’s body some time to heal on its own before introducing warm steam.
9) …and it feels good! Last but certainly not least, yoni steaming feels great. The warmth increases circulation to the labia and clitoris, and the steam moistens the sensitive tissues, resulting in an ever so slightly tantalizing sensation. Many women experience pleasure from the simple act of treating themselves to this delightful ritual, and that, in and of itself, should be revered. It is the body’s imperative to be as healthy and efficient as is possible. While it is true that your uterus and vagina are self-cleaning and self-regulating organs, yoni steaming is a natural way to support your body to function optimally. Yet, yoni steaming is about more than uterine health. The practice brings a reconnection to the spiritual aspects of female body and the potent energy that lies within. It is not only an opportunity for women to celebrate and cherish our bodies, it is a tool for taking back ownership of our personal health, and for utilizing the wisdom of our ancestors to support and nourish our well-being today.